Re: [Foucault-L] governmentality in Latin America and Spain

Muchas gracias!

Well, I was thinking a little bit more in pieces of research similar to Foucault's "Society Must Be Defended", Jacques Donzelot "The invention of the social" or Nikolas Rose's "Inventing Our Selves"... I mean studies which trace a genealogy of social / health protection systems (and its degree of institutionalisation) in relation to scientific notions (and the power of the professional bodies which defend them) of "society", "human nature", "citizenship" and so on, in a Latin American (and specifically Brazilian) context.

For instance, I believe that Spain's social protection systems have been conceived very similarly to French institutions, but long before the return of the democracy in 1975 public policies regarding social protection were not based on "ideas" defended by practitioners of the liberal professions (physicians -and in a much more restricted sense nurses- were probably the only ones, but strongly tied to religious organizations of care). In the 80s there was a great growth of psychologists, social workers and other professionals implied in these settings. This provoked a massive production "welfare state"-like legal measures (which were developed on top of the dictatorship’s institutions) in the domains of public education, health, social services and so forth. In that sense, the “invention of the social” in Spain has been a hybrid endeavour of both religious (heavily enhanced during Franco’s dictatorship) and liberal (in the late 19th century up until 1936 and then in more recent times) care workers and institutions. So “professional power” in Spanish social care has been weak and is now progressively rising. It has not been up until recently that we could have started witnessing something similar to what Donzelot, Foucaut or Rose have spoken about France and the UK.

The thing is I don’t know much about post-colonial administration in Latin America, but I have heard many Latin American colleagues complaining of the scarce utility most of the writings by Foucault, Donzelot or Rose have in order to take into account their very realities. Not because they are not interesting, but because the political structure is different, democracies “are young”, there is not a strong middle-class, and so on and so forth. But I would really like to know if there are some studies inspired by the writings of these authors that address those very problems.

Thanks again

All the best

Tomás