Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault Revolutionises History

My thought was that Veyne not so much mis-read Foucault, but just happened
to use the same word to describe something quite different. I am guessing
that he wrote his account prior to Foucault's endowing this word the special
technical sense that he does in the 1977-8 lectures. Because if Veyne had
written "F revolutionizes history" after these lectures he certainly would
have at least made note of his different usage (and most likely would have
simply chosen to call the practices of roman emperors by a different name).
That is ONLY an educated guess on my part, of course. Others, I am sure,
will posses the more detailed knowledge of Veyne and the history of this
essay's publication needed either to substantiate or falsify my attempt to
make sense of this odd discrepancy in usage.

--
Nathaniel Roberts
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
Columbia University
-and-
Part Time Faculty Member
Department of Anthropology
The New School for Social Research
Folow-ups
  • Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault Revolutionises History