Re: [Foucault-L] Maurice Florence

Dear Kevin,

I myself have actually made that claim somewhere in print! The 'evidence',
such as it is, is in the note that appears in Dits et Ecrits before that
selection. But, unfortunately the 'Essential Foucault' translation only
gives us a greatly truncated version of that note.

In French, in addition to the info given in the English version, we read
(roughly translated): ...At that time, Foucault had written a first version
of volume II of HS which he knew would need re-working. A part of the
Introduction which he had written for this book was a retrospective
presentation of his work. This was the text he gave to Denis Huisman,
completed with a short presentation and a bibliography. It was decided to
sign it 'Maurice Florence', which gave the obvious abbreviation 'M.F.'...

According to further notes (in the French and English editions) only the
first sentence of the published text was written by Francois Ewald - the
rest was by 'M.F.'

Since these notes were compiled by Francois Ewald and Daniel Defert, I take
them to be as authoritative as one could wish for.

Best,
Timothy