Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and interpretivism

hi ian

there is a passage from an interview foucault gave in 1967 that I have taken as a kind of methodological prescription in writing my thesis about foucault, which i think may be of some help in addressing your question.

the interview has the title 'on the ways of writing history,' and the passage reads as follows:

'Instead of reconstituting the immanent secret, [criticism; k] treats the text as a set of elements…among which one can bring out absolutely new relations, insofar as they have not been controlled by the writer’s design and are made possible only by the work itself as such. The formal relations that one discovers in this way are not present in anyone’s mind; they don’t constitute the latent content of the statements, their discreet secret. They are a construction, but an accurate construction provided that the relations described can actually be assigned to the material treated…[they are constructions that]…place people’s words in relations that are still unformulated, said by us for the first time, and yet objectively accurate' (EW2: 286-287).

regards,
kevin.