[Foucault-L] c.ofarrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx: applications of Foucault

HI,

THIS WAS SENT TO THE LIST BY MISTAKE -- IT WAS INTENDED FOR MY 'DRAFT' SECTION OF MY INBOX, AND SOME HOW ENDED UP IM THE 'SENT' SECTION. PLEASE IGNORE.

THANKS

BB

HELLO CLARE,

LAST WEEK, AT THE 'FOUCAULT 25 YEARS ON' CONFERENCE IN ADELAIDE, A
PAPER WAS READ BY MY COLLEAGUE AND CO AUTHOR DR. TOM NORDGREN, WHO IS
HERE FROM THE USA.

TOM AND MYSELF ARE CURRENTLY EXPENDING INTO A BOOK MY EARLIER PUBLISHED
PAPER. IT IS THE INTENTION THAT TOM STAYS IN AUSTRALIA FOR A MONTH OR SO,
HAVING DELIVERED THE PAPER IN ADELAIDE, TO FURTHER THE WORK IN PROGRESS
TOWARDS COMPLETION

I HAVE WRITTEN TO YOU ONCE BRIEFLY, LAST YEAR I THINK, AND GOT YOUR
RESPONSE,
BUT IT HAS BEEN MY INTENT TO WRITE TO YOU AGAIN AND EXPRESS MY APPRECIATION
OF YOUR DEPTH AND INTRICACY OF KNOWLEDGE OF FOUCAULT. IN YOUR RECENT TITLE
IN PARTICULAR, YOU APPEAR TO
GRASP THAT THERE ARE IN FOUCAULT NO MERE SERIES OF CLASSIFICATIONS, SHOULD
WE SAY OF A 'LINEAR' TYPE, BUT A JUGGLED ENVIRONMENT, MORE LIKE A GAME OF
SEVERAL BALLS, IN FLUX AND RESTING, GEOMETRICALLY SPATIALLY CONDITIONED. OR
PERHAPS LIKE THE ELEMENTS OF A CHEMICAL MOLECULE, MUTUALLY BINDING AND
DELINEATING.

I HOPE I HAVE NOT HERE ADDED TO THE CONFUSION SURROUNDING FOUCAULT.

.

BECAUSE WE VALUE FOUCAULT AND THE CONTRIBUTION YOU MADE, I WOULD LIKE TO
OPEN WITH YOU A DIALOGUE TOWARDS YOUR POSSIBLE INVOLVEMENT IN THE BOOK.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clare O'Farrell" <c.ofarrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:48 AM
Subject: [Foucault-L] applications of Foucault

I asked this question of the list a while ago but only got a couple
of responses so thought I would try again.

I am looking for examples of investigations that have been prompted
by throw away remarks in Foucault's work. Ideas which Foucault only
mentioned briefly in passing that people have taken up as a
springboard for extensive studies.

Actually, come to think of it, Edward Said's work Orientalism is
probably one such work - from a very brief comment in the
introduction to The History of Madness.
--
regards
Clare