Re: [Foucault-L] Spiritual politics political spirituality

why not read the man himself? Just read the hermeneutics of the subject.
It's available in English now.

Review
"Is the 'self' capable of reaching the truth when only equipped with
knowledge? Or can it attain the truth without a 'long labor of ascesis?'
Why is the concept of the 'care of the self' neglected by Western thought
despite its vital role in constructing the concept of 'know yourself'?
These ethical questions and more are elegantly discussed in Foucault's
third volume of lectures from the Collège de France. Foucault's
contribution to modern thought is so enormous that philosophy cannot be
approached without reference to his works; like Nietzsche, he questions the
Western belief of one center that holds the absolute truth. Instead, he
argues for multiple centers and stresses the importance of marginal events
in shaping the social and cultural entity of the West. Here, Foucault
examines the notion of the self in Western thought, speaking with poetic
insight about the genealogy of this concept in all its associations with
power, knowledge, and religion. He thus plants the seeds for his more
analytical works, such as The History of Sexuality. Recommended for public
and academic libraries with large philosophy collections."—Library
Journal

Product Description
The Hermeneutics of the Subject is the third volume in the collection of
Michel Foucault's lectures at the College de France, one of the world's
most prestigious institutions. Faculty at the college give public lectures,
in which they can present works-in-progress on any subject of their
choosing. Foucault's were more speculative and free-ranging than the
arguments of such groundbreaking works as The History of Sexuality or
Madness and Civilization. In the lectures comprising this volume, Foucault
focuses upon the ways the "self" and consequently "self-study" have been
conceived since the days of antiquity, starting with Socrates. Definitions
and conceptions of "self-study" in Greek and Roman literature, Foucault
argues, remain in force today, and underlie modern interpretations of the
self. Engaging, engrossing, and provocative, The Hermeneutics of the