Re: [Foucault-L] Maladie mentale et personnalité

Perhaps a clue to resolving this difficulty can be found in the language used in Mental Illness and Psychology, which employs expressions like 'forms of appearance' and 'conditions of possibility'. We find a similiar vocabuary used in his Introductin to the French translation of Binswanger's Dream and Existence. There, we meet with the expressions 'antropological forms' and 'existential conditions of existence.' So, besides the evolution of language, what this usage indicates is the continuity of a theme...

"In the characterization of medieval ontology, 'being' is a 'transcendens.'"

"The meaning of the being of.. Dasein will be shown to be temporality."

"That being towards which Dasein can- and always somehow does- comport itself in one way or another, we call 'eksistence [Existenz]'."

"Every investigation in this field, where 'the thing itself is deeply veiled,' will avoid overestimating its results, insofar as such an inquirey is constantly forced to face the possibility of disclosing an even more orginal, more universal horizon whence one might draw the answer to the question, What does 'being' mean?"

Heidegger, Being and Time, 1927.

"We want neither to deny nor to renounce, nor to destroy nor to go back... . The wish to return back cannot mean anything else for us but one thing: to resume contact with life and with what is 'natural' and primitive in it, return to the first source from which springs not only science but also all the other manifestations of spiritual life, to study again the essential relationships which can be found originally, before science has modeled it after its fashion, between the different phenomena of which life is composed, to see whether we cannot extract from them something other than science does. [...] We want to look 'without instruments,' and say what we see. Contrary to appearances, this is, incidentally, a pretty difficult assignment."

Minkowski, Lived Time, 1933.

"One must... grant an absolute privilege, among all the signifying dimensions of existence, to that of ascent and fall, where alone can be discerned the temporality, the authenticity, and the historicity of existence. If one remains at the level of the other existential directions, one can never grasp existence in any but its constituted forms. One could identify situations, define structures and modes of being, one could explore the modalities of Menschsein: but one must turn to the vertical dimension to grasp existence making itself, turn to the vertical dimension in that form of absolutely original presence in which Dasein is defined."

Foucault, Introduction to the french translation of Binswanger's Dream and Existence, 1954.