Re: [Foucault-L] translation and interpretation question.

Hi Timothy,

Our translations are very close, but as a novice in the translation game, I’m curious about the terms “instaure” and “fonde.”

The first term can be translated as institutes, but I’ve read that if it implies a link between things then is should be translated as establishes; I’ve also read that if what is being instituted is a regime or a dialogue (i.e. a regime of truth, a dialogue with oneself) the it should also be translated as establish. Interestingly the term can also mean “to impose,” “to found,” and “to organise.”

The word “fonde” is even more interesting. From what I can tell it is the subjunctive of the verb “fonder”, which means to found, set up (but can also mean “to justify”): as such, it too could be translated as establish. However, “fonde” is also the subjunctive of the verb “fondre,” which means to fuse together, to merge or to combine.

It’s interesting how the different possible translation of each of these terms changes the meaning of the translated passage. Of course, one should probably keep all of them in mind when thinking about the passage, but to write them all down in a translation doesn’t make for good presentation.

Regards,
Kevin.