Re: [Foucault-L] Representation versus "symbolic thinking"

Hi, Chetan

Maybe this passage from Cousins and Hussain (1984:33) might be of help:

"Knowledge [in the classical episteme] consists in the correct ordering of
representations. [In the Renaissance episteme]
it had consisted in the penetration of the signs in the world in order to
read the wisdom scattered throughout it. [In the classical episteme] i
consists in representing identities, differences and their degrees. [In the
Renaissance episteme] it had consisted in divination or similitiude. (...)
Signs were placed and hidden in the world, awaiting knowledge. [In the
classical episteme] signs are knowledge, tools of analysis and means of
representing order. The world, not signs, awaits knowledge. The world and
signs, things and words, are divided".

Cousins and Hussains also observe that the ternary structure the
characterized the mode of knowledge of Renaissance -- all the things of the
world, words (which are special things that function as marks put upon all
the things of the world), and the interpretation that shows how words and
things are related. In the classical episteme, there is a binary structure
of production of knowledge: a significant (a sing, a word) and a signified
(the thing that the word represents).

Hope this helps.

Best'

Emmanoel