Re: [Foucault-L] translation and interpretation question.

Dear Kevin,

I think you are quite right about the misleading English translation.

Here is a modified translation of the passage that I use in a recent
publication - it's very close to yours, I think. However, I did insert
[first], [second], [third] to clarify what I understand to be Foucault's
argument:

"By 'thought', [first] I mean that which institutes, in diverse possible
forms,
the game of truth and falsehood and which, consequently, constitutes the
human being as a subject of knowledge; [second] that which founds the
acceptance or the refusal of the rule and constitutes the human being as a
social and juridical subject; [third] that which institutes the relation to
self
and to others, and constitutes the human being as ethical subject." (ibid.:
200, modified).

This is in my "Rethinking Experience With Foucault", in *Foucault and
Philosophy *(Blackwell, 2010).

Regards,
Timothy