Re: [Foucault-L] citation query

It's worth remembering that Foucault had more than one personal friend who suffered from mental illness.

Nikki Moore's PhD thesis on Foucault, Althusser, and Jacques Martin is available on the web

'Between work : Michel Foucault, Louis Althusser and Jacques Martin' (MIT, 2005)

Like Foucault, Martin was a homosexual affliliated with the PCF, but not a member (this of course has strong resonances with Foucault's situation in the '50s), and his suicide had a big impact on Althusser, who dedicated For Marx to him. From what I remember, Foucault was close to him as well. From what I remember of Althusser's recollections, they resonate strongly with Foucault's comment cited by Clare below.

See, for example, the following passage from chapter 3 of her thesis:

"Before examining the absence of work, or what Shoshana Felman calls 'unaccomplishment at work', I would like to explore two readings of the formation of the concept 'work' itself, as it was first defined by Kant. From there I would like to explore the link between Kant's notion of work and Foucault's theorization of its absence by looking at two of Foucault's publications which mere most markedly influenced by the figure of Jacques Martin and his friendship with Foucault: L 'Histoire de La Folie a l 'age Classique and an article entitled "Madness, the Absence of Work". Following this, it is important to look through the lens of Martin, as symbol and as friend, at attempts made in secondary literature which systematize Foucault's own work along the lines of a false concept of an absence of work, in order to offer an alternative viewing which allows Foucault's own work the freedom from oeuvre making it both seeks and deserves." (pp. 36-37)

This, together with Foucault's friendship with Althusser (also a mental patient) and his work in the mental hospital suggest that the suffering of the mentally ill had a personal pertinence for Foucault