Re: [Foucault-L] citation query

I wouldn't say his early material "denies" biological reality, but
rather focuses on the "history of concepts" in the tradition of
Canguilhem. The early work is dealing with the particular investitures
placed on particular concepts like "mental illness", "therapy" and
such through various historical eras in western history and what they
signified or their very usefulness as terms varied by general period.
The biological/physical phenomena itself is not denied but the
conceptual interpretations attached to its various states are
historicized (or relativized depending on your point of view)

--
Chetan Vemuri
West Des Moines, IA

Folow-ups