Re: [Foucault-L] and Husserl?

There is a difference between
- a general influence transmitted by the philosophical texts and textbooks that were used in the Lycee and the ENS, and by the teachers and professors. Inbetween 1945 and 1970 all philosophy students on the Continent read a lot of phenomenology and they most often started doing phenomenology by reading Husserls early works (1900-1910) and studying his critique of scientism in psychology.
see for example in the interview of 1968 'Foucault answers Sartre' (Dits et Ecrits I, p. 667): 'I belong to a generation to whom the horizon of their reflexion was in a general way defined by Husserl and in a specific way by Sartre and more precisely Merleau Ponty...' (he does not mention Heidegger here)

- a specific influence which can be found in the use of Husserl's phenomenological method - for example putting inbetween brackets, analysis of intentionality, 'Wesensschau' - and/or of particular Husserlian arguments. I could not find such an influence in Foucault's works.

- and a detailed exposition, comment or critique of some Husserlian texts or arguments that is used in order to develop one's own thesis or theory.
I could find only two places where that happens:
1) in the introduction on Binswanger Foucault discusses Husserl's Logical Investigations including some later versions which are only in his manuscripts in order to explain the difference between 'index' (sign) and signification embedded in a living experience (in French: éxperience vécu) (see Dits et Ecrits I pp. 74-78). This is a to the point analysis in order to make clear he difference between a phenomenological and a psychoanalytic analysis of signification. Lateron in the introduction it is not used any more.
In the articles of 1957 on Psychology as a science, Husserl is only mentioned by the way and his anti-psychologism is not discussed

2) a general discussion of the role of Husserlian phenomenology in explaining the position of Man as a empirical-transcendental doublet in the modern episteme in The Order of Things, ch. X, sect. v.

That's all. In all other references to Husserl, he just is mentioned in a list of names.

yours
machiel karskens