Re: [Foucault-L] and Husserl?

I sent the following comment yesterday but under the wrong email address, so expanding it and sending again:

Althusser speaks in his autobiography of the three H's of his time in French philosophy - Hegel, Heidegger, & Husserl.

Seems like at the ENS the discussion of these three H's was pervasive - Foucault was of course A's colleague, as was Canguilhem. The intellectual context of the ENS was of course much broader than these thinkers, and many never published their works, or published it only in obscure places, but was no doubt influential at the ENS. Tran Duc Thao, for example, is often mentioned as an influence in the 1950s.

Here's Paul Ricoeur's blurb from the back of the 1985 translation:

"This work of Thao, in an elegant, laconic, and remarkably lucid prose, elaborates the rationale that motivated Husserl's philosophizing... Thao's knowledge of Husserl, as well as of the entire history of philosophy, is most impressive, and he has the ability to elucidate and bring to life some of the most abstruse epistemological writings of Kant, Husserl, and others. ...consider this one of the clearest introductions to phenomenology and would consider it a superb text to use in introducing my students to phenomenology."

Given that Thao was well-known in Parisian circles back then it would seem likely that his book _Phenomenology and Dialectical Materialism_ was an important influence on all of these thinkers. He seems to have been greatly respected, even if many of those who spoke highly of him - such as Althusser - were not phenomenologists.