Re: [Foucault-L] Duration, Dasein, Geneology, Archaeology.

I don't know, I can't agree with Machiel Karstens-- for me the only possible
way to read the Analytic of Finitude is as deeply, fundamentally,
Heideggerian. Which isn't to say that the Order of Things isn't *also*
deeply Kantian, but that's exactly what we should expect, Heidegger, after
all, being a neo-Kantian.

Moreover, I find Heideggerian themes guiding me throughout his work. I am
definitely inclined to take Foucault at his word when he says that Heidegger
was the most important philosopher to him. Saying that, in general,
self-testimonies are not reliable, can hardly be true in general, much less
convincing in the particular.

Since neither of us have much textual evidence to our side, and this clearly
can't be settled, I just wanted to weigh in to show that support for the
MF-as-reader-of-MH position has its real life proponents, and some of them
are among you. :-)

As a parting consideration: Don't all of you find this entire discussion of
whether MF was influenced by this or that person directly and what is the
evidence for it and all that distinctly, well, non-Foucauldian? His thought
is founded on the proposition that there are ways of thinking that are
non-individual, and he would certainly not be so inconsistent or immodest as
to exempt himself. Ask instead if Heidegger (or Bergson or whoever) were
part of the thoughtworld of the Normalien of the 60s, and your answer must
be, I would imagine, a resounding yes. Which is only the invitation to begin
to limn what that world looks like, not a depiction, to be sure.

Best,
Adam Leeds

--
Adam E. Leeds