From: Chetan Vemuri <aryavartacnsrn@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault, correspondence theory vs coherence theory

Hey guys,

  I was talking with a friend who is a grad student in analytic
philosophy and we were debating about the issue of "truth" in both
analytic and continental traditions. In the course of it, we came to a
discussion of the merits of the correspondence theory of truth versus
the coherence theory of truth. The former argues for the veracity of a
statement to be tied to its referent empirical reality and how well it
"describes" or "corresponds" to it (straightforward "truth"). The
latter tying veracity to a statement's relationship to other
connecting statements. Where exactly would Foucault fit between these
two theories? Going by the Archaeology of Knowledge, I would say he
criscrosses the divide (though more accurately he could be described
as being Nietzschean about truth). But are there any analytically or
partly analytically trained people on here that might provide their
own views?

--
Chetan Vemuri
West Des Moines, IA