Re: discipline and punish

In Re: discipline and punish, Martin Hogan wrote:

>>I never trust anyone who starts to talk about the Nazis as a phenomenon
placuliar to or at the start of anything - they were and remanin Europeans<<

The most recent Wired magazine contains and article by Mike Godwin from the
Electronic Frontier Foundation who is experimenting in "memetic engineering"
-- testing the various paths that attractive notions take through the
Internet and into society at large. He formulated "Godwin's Law of Nazi
Apologies" which states "As an online discussion grows longer, the
probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." He
cites restatement by Cliff Stoll, author of "The Cuckoo's Egg" as "..the law
that states that once a discussion treaches a comparison to Nazis or Hitler,
it's usefulness is over." That is an interesting observation. Could it be
true? Could Hitler and Nazism a barrier symbolic of the dedegradation of
inquiry or discussion?

Forgive the lack of reference ot Foucault as I am more a philoso-voyeur than
active participant. My interest is in the borader field of inquiry, though,
and makes this relevant.

= Joe Raimondo =