Where is the self?

Last night on the starting titles of "Hot Chips", a computing programme on
national television.

Guy talking to friend on phone:
Oh, you've found my data base records. They've got all that!
Yeah, press delete.
Guy disappears.

So how does this relate to Foucault? The electronic panopticon constructs
a normalised self which even the object of the surveillance believes. But
what else is left if this artifact is taken away? Not the "enlightenment"
subject? What?

Any ideas or references. I really have a lot of trouble understanding
"subject".

Jim

Jim Underwood
Department of Information Systems phone +612 330 1831
University of Technology, Sydney fax +612 330 1807
PO Box 123,
BROADWAY 2007 e-mail:
jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AUSTRALIA