RE: Where is the self?

Two responses to Jim's comment.
1. Take a look at Sartre's early essay "Transcendence of the Ego" for the distinction betwee the self and the I. While this is not Foucault's view it is a good starting point for developing ways of thinking about this problem.
2. It seems to me that the prolem of electronic files or databases extends the problem of the file that F developes in Discipline and Punish. Whereas the file
is singular and constitutes a particular subject, databases are indefinitely
malleable and can produce many subjects out of the same person. Deleuze's
essay "Postscript on the Societies of Control" in October 59 is helpful
for thinking about this issue.