Foucault and Kant

Dear Antoine Goulem,

Waldenfels and Rudi Visker refer to Kant in relation to Foucault's
critical remarks on phenomenology, there are rarely hints, as far as
I know.

To give you another information, if not yet known: It is Gerard
Lebrun who refers to this question. He refers to the relation of
Foucault and Kant, specially to phenomenology. His thesis: Foucault
is critical to phenomenology because he thinks that phenomenology
does not fully justice to Kant. See: "Zur Phaenomenologie in der
'Ordnung der Dinge'", in: F. Ewald / B. Waldenfels (Eds.): Michel Foucaults
Denken. Frankfurt/Main: Suhrkamp 1991, pp. 15-38. (I think it is the
same text as his "Notes in Phenomenology" in: Michel Foucault:
Philosopher ...)

Beside that: Foucault's Kant interpretation is influenced by
Heidegger's book "Kant und das Problem der Metaphysik", one of the
very important Heideggerian texts - beside of "The Age of World
Picture" (in: Holzwege) in France, and especially for Foucault.

To be critical against Lebrun one might say that Lebrun doesn't
mention the influence of Heidegger in this point.

I think there are many essays concerning Foucault's interpretation of
Kant in Foucault's essay "What is enlightment?" ...

If Foucault criticizes phenomenology he refers to Husserl and the
early Merleau-Ponty only. And if he criticizes Husserl, he critisizes
a Husserl, that is read through Merleau-Ponty. (Sorry for my English)

Last: Foucault estimated the neo-kantian thinker Ernst Cassirer.

I wished this can be of help for you. Sincerely, Silvia Stoller.

All comments with the help of a friend!!!

silvia.stoller@xxxxxxxxxxxx