Re: immanence

Date sent: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 10:29:42 -0600 (CST)
From: Erik D Lindberg <edl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: foucault <foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: immanence
Send reply to: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Erik,

What a coincidence! I'm also doing research on this notion, as
part of my general research on the character of "postmodern
ontology" from Nietzsche to the post-structuralists. Recently, I
have been working through the following texts: Deleuze and
Guattari's WHAT IS PHILOSOPHY?, Spinoza's ETHICS, Leibniz's
MONADOLOGY, and Heidegger's BEING AND TIME. At the back of my mind, I
keep thinking about Hegel's ontology and Nietzsche's. This for me is
still an outline of what I consider to be an important concept in
western philosophy, for example. I recall, some years ago, reading a
two-volumed text by an Israeli philosopher, Yirmiahu Yovel, on the
"history of the idea of immanence" in western philosophy, from (I
think) Spinoza to Nietzsche. The volumes came out in the late 1980s.
Part of my research has led me to rethink Spinoza's Ethics as an
anticipation of Nietzsche and Foucault. Reading Deleuze's two books
on Spinoza seems to confirm this hypothesis. I find myself seeing
Hegel as a disciple of Spinoza, in as much as Nietzsche and Foucault
are (This is from Deleuze and Guattari, What Is Philosophy?, p. 60).
When I think about it closely, and through this question, I find an
element of truth in Foucault's reflective thoughts towards the end of
his inaugural lecture, when he questions our attempts to flee Hegel,
to see ourselves as anti-Hegel. Hegel is our modern Spinoza. Anyway.
I would recommend Deleuze & Guattari's What Is Philosophy?, for a
starter. I have been reading it alongside Heidegger's What Is
Philosophy? I found this helpful.

I hope these fragmented thoughts help.

All for the best.

Windsor Leroke
029lerok@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

"Spinoza is the Christ of philosophers, and the greatest philosophers
are ... apostles who distance themselves from or draw near to this
mystery. Spinoza, the infinite becoming-philosopher: he showed, drew
up, and thought the 'best' plane of immanence" (Deleuze & Guattari,
What Is Philosophy, p. 60)

Dear Friends,

I'm doing some thinking on the idea of immanence (in continental
philosophy and criticisms) in a general sense, though especially with
regard to its cultural and historical origins, development, and
"usefulness."

Does anyone know of books or articles that isolate and investigate
immanence? Are there any archeaologies or geneaologies of immanence?

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Erik D. Lindberg
Dept. of English and Comparative Lit.