Re[6]: useful and docile bodies

Koray,

Right off the top of my head, the best sources on the
Foucault?MAarx connection I could name are:
Barry Smart, The Politics of Truthand the problem of
Hegemony in the Hoy. ed. Focuault: A Critical Reader
also Smart has abook from 1983 on FOucalt and Marxism;

Get ahold of the essays from the edition Towards A Critique
of Foucault (MIke Gane ed.) and look at the articles in
there by Peter Dews, Jeff Minson, and Gary Wickham;

Look up Mark Poster (something about "Mode of Production,
Mode of Information" - I don't have it with me)

In Michel Foucault, Philospher (Timothy J> Armstrong trans.)
there are several sources, notably
"Foucault and Marx: The question of Nominalism" by Etienne
Balibar,
"A Power without an exterior," Francois Ewald, and
"On Foucault's Uses of the notion of 'biopower'" by Michael
Donnelly

A real find for me is in the Bernd Magnus, ed. Wither
Marxism, an article by Abdul Janmohamed, "Refiguring values,
power, knowledge"

A source I still don't have, and would like to get a hold of
is an interview entitled Remarks on Marx: AN interview with
A. Trombiadori (Semiotext(e), 1991)

There's an article in the Blackwell edition Althusser: A
Critical Reader by Peter Dews on Structural Marxism;

Of anyhting from Power/Knowledge, D&P, and H&S v. I by
Foucault;

Perhaps you'll want to look at Althusser, For Marx; and
Reading Capital;

On Marx's side of teh equation, you'll have to be more
specific - early or late Marx, the humanist or scientist
Marx, etc. - but I've been using the David McLellan edition
of Marx's Selected Writings (Oxford UP)

For a good secondary source on Althuseer, with some insights
into Focuault's earlier connection with Marx, see
Ted Benton, The Rise and Fall of Structural Marxism

How's that? I've got lots more, but the notions of truth
and individuality are both so central and so problematic for
both writers, I'm not sure where else to go.

Where is Bosphrus University?

Please let us know what angle you come up with.

Anyone else out there interested in the MArx/Foucault?
connection?

Joe C.
TMC

Folow-ups