Re: 'Actual past'

On Wed, 01 May 1996 00:14:40 -0500, Nicholas Dronen wrote:

>Gabriel Ash wrote:
>>

>> He would have probably paraphrased Lacan and say that M. Foucault who believe
>> himself to be M. Foucault is just as as much caught in a fantasy as any other
>> "pauvre diable" who believe himself to be M. Foucault, the only difference is
>> the set of power/knowledge relations that support one fantasy and lock up the
>> other.
>
> What are the alternatives?

I don't know if you'll find it satisfactory, but the alternative for F. was to write, like he did, 'in order to become
different'. this, paradaxoxically, is one of the most constant aspect of F., spaning from the famous passage
in the "archeology" ('leave to the police the question of my Identity') up to the introduction to the second vol.
of Hist. of Sex. ('the essay' - that should be understood as as an adventure in which one is modifiying
oneself in the game of truth and not as a simplifying apropriation of the other for the sake of communication -
is the living body of philosophy...').
Gabriel Ash
Notre-Dame