Re: Truth quote

I think Greg, that Foucault makes the context quite clear: Foucault is keen
to distinguish between truth and the thought of truth. The fact that neither
terms are enveloped in Foucaultian quotation marks speaks volumes. Also we
had a discussion about this and you failed to reply? Equally, of course,
I'm not at all sure what you mean by absolute truth. More problematic of
course is your implicit claim to be in possession of what _Foucualt_ means.
The sole source of authority. The voice from on high that has the real
Foucaultian tablets of stone. We could debate the textual evidence vis-a-vis
this. But I'm not sure you would want to do this, given the textual evidence.

I use the quote simply as a means of portraying the trend in Foucault's
thought that truth _does exist_ independent of the thought of truth. What is
it that upsets you so much about this trend in Foucault's thought? Does it
perhaps imply that the poststructuralist appropriation of Foucualt is not
supported by textual evidence?

Also given the full quote we can, I think, see Foucault grappling with the
relation between thought and that which thought is about; Truth. As for it
being Nietzschean, you are absolutely right. But then again I don't suppose
your are arguing that Nietzsche, anymore than Foucault, solved truthfully
that is, the problem of truth. Thus, of course, establishing truth as an
alterity distinct from the thought of truth.

I think you have quite nicely decided to read Foucault in a particular way,
a way that is, that elides the difference between the thought of truth and
truth. What would Foucault say about this? I can only guess of course, but
probably something like, 'All those who say truth does not exist for me are
simple minded.' :-)

>Many of us continue (I am thinking of Colin here) to use this quote completely
>out of context, as if Foucualt is actually supporting a notion of absolute
>truth and its intrinsic value. Again, he is discussing the very real power
>that truth, as a social fact, exerts upon human beings in their continuous
>subjectification. If one simply says there is no truth, and carries the
>critique no further, one is indeed simple-minded for Foucault (and Nietzsche).

"What I try to achieve is the history of the relations which
thought maintains with truth; the history of thought insofar as it is the
thought of truth. All those who say truth does not exist for me are
simple minded."
(Foucault)

Colin Wight
Department of International Politics