3- Individualising effects of power

On Wed, Jul 24, 1996 8:39:58 PM, chloe sekouri wrote:

>Like Steve, I, too, am interested in exactly how you see the
indivdualizing
>effects of power "blowing away" the Marxist concept of class struggle.
Can
>you walk me through the steps?

Well, of course, as we know, there is a tremendous attention payed in Marx
to the "individualizing effects of power", though in a slightly different
way. For Marx, the worker comes to know himself as a worker as he is
coerced into a productive apparatus of regulated labour. And though the
worker is coerced into productive arrangements, he also accepts, and self
regulates (Marx was no ludite, remember).

As we know, the panopticon was above all an economizing apparatus which,
much like the conveyor belt or the Cotton Gin, optimized labour potentials.
IN the case of each, an individualizing effect takes place. I'm curious
to know how these two are considered so different, and particularly how one
blows the other away.

sb