Re: (Fwd) just a parting note (fwd from KC)

--- Forwarded mail from joseph@xxxxxxxxx

From: "Karl Carlile" <joseph@xxxxxxxxx>
To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 02:50:58 +0000
Subject: (Fwd) just a parting note

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 18:40:26 -0400
From: "D. Diane Davis" <dddavis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: joseph@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: just a parting note

Karl:

I've been semi-following what's been going on with you and the spoon
collective, and I wanted to say a few things before I head back to VA.

First, I want you to know that I was not involved in the decision to
expel you from the Foucault list. In fact, I think it was a terrible
move. Second, I have not been in cahoots with anyone on this list for
any reason, much less in regards to you. I don't have friends or even
acquaintances there. As I said, I rarely speak there. I had a few
minutes and thought I had something to say on the body and Butler, so I
did. Beyond that...I had no time for listing. I trash about
three-fourths of the Foucault list posts. There are a precious few lists
that are important enough to me to actually participate in--but I sub to
a million of them and just read when there's a subject line of interest
to me. Somehow, you seem to have gotten the impression that I was a big
cheese on the F-list. But please know that I'm not. I engage about twice
a year during BREAKS.

I think your posts to the Foucault list were rude and unproductive (not
because your a marxist out to point up pomo's deficiencies but because I
don't think you're playing your own game very well--Morton, Zavarzadeh,
Ebert...they play it VERY well. Morton and I have shaken each other to
the floor a few times). But I don't think you or anyone else should be
involuntarily unsubbed from an academic listserv. The more voices we
learn to contend with the better. If they make us uncomfortable, it is
necessary that we learn to live with that discomfort. That's how we will
become less dangerous people...less likely to become totalitarian.

I was also sorry to hear that you'd been mail bombed. I had no knowledge
of that...they were not my friends. Ressentiment is always behind such
behavior. I try to avoid that whenever possible...I try to make amor
fati my motto.

So, I'm heading back home to teach. This account will be dissolved.
Before I left, I wanted to tell you all of this. Sorry we got off to
such a lousy start.

Good luck to you.

ddd
--

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
D D
D D
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Yours etc.,
Karl

--- End of forwarded message from joseph@xxxxxxxxx