Re: Foucault's later lectures

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Bryan Hogeveen wrote:

> To fellow list members:
>
> Having been a member of the list for a little more than a couple of months,
> I wanted to submit a brief introduction of myself (Bryan Hogeveen - e-mail:
> hogeveen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx), and offer a topic of discussion which has been
> relatively absent. As well as, to seek out individuals who may be interested
> in opening up dialogue surrounding the 'governmentality' literature (this is
> not a post: "to have someone write my thesis for me").

Sorry, in my previous whining I may have overstated my case a bit. It
seems to me that there's a great difference between merely seeking
answers to questions that one really has no interest in and engaging
with others in the examination of questions that pique ones curriosity.
Now I'd say that this second sense is the guiding impetus for the
existence of this list. I'd even go so far as to define the purpose of
this list as the collaborative production of theory. On that note an
examination of the concepts surrounding 'governmentality' is definitly an
activity germain to the list. Or, if you think the discussion of
governmentality would have a greater clarity and focus on a list devoted
specifically to that topic rather than on a general foucault list we
could do that. Or, if you would like to develope something like a
specific working group on the concept of governmentality that would be
comprised of a select group of people who would engage for a specified
amount of time with a given goal in mind, then this too is a possibility.

I guess what I was trying to say in my previous whinings is that this
list constitutes a significant resource that I feel is being
significantly underutilized. There are many ways to exploit the
relationship that we have here that would be mutually benifitial to all.

Flannon