Re: bibliographic

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, SOC MicroLab UEA wrote:

> In the bibliog. to Benno Wagner's essay
> 'Normality/Exception/Counter-Knowledge' in eds. Featherstone
> et al Gobal Modernities (Sage 1995) he cites
>
> Foucault, Michel (1986) Vom Licht des Krieges zur Geburt der
> Geschichte, (ed. Walter Seitter, Berlin:Merve).
>
> Does anyone on the list know anything about this book? I've
> never heard of it before, though some of the Foucault essays
> and lectures translated into English do seem to indicate
> that Foucault spent a few years working on the lines this
> German title would suggest.
> Is the German volume a translation of a full-length work in
> French?
> Or is it a collection of essays, lectures etc?
> And if the latter, which ones?

The title of this text comes from the Editor. Published in 1986 by Merve
Verlag GmbH; Postfach 327 1 Berlin 15. ISBN Nr. 3-88396-053-5.

It is from a couple of lectures given on January 21 and 28 of 1976 at the
College de France in Paris. It is a transcript from tape.

The first few lines of the first lecture, read as follows:

Ko"nnen die Begriffe, die sich von dem herleiten, was man im 18. und auch
noch im 19. Jahrhundert die Kriegskunst nannte, die Begriffe, die von der
"Kriegskunst", von der "Strategie", von der "Taktik" herru"hren--ko"nnen
sie selber ein taugliches Instrumentarium fu"r die Analyse der
Machtbeziehungen bilden? Mann kann sich fragen, ob die milita"rischen
Institutionen und u"berhaupt die Verfahren, die eingesetzt werden, um den
Krieg zu fu"hren, ob also die milita"rischen Einrichtungen und die sie
umgebenden Praktiken mittelbar oder unmittelbar den Kern der politischen
Institutionen ausmachen.

Which roughly and unguaranteedly translated reads:

Can the ideas which derive from what in the 18th and 19th centuries were
known as the "art of war"--from which the concepts of "strategy" and
"tactics" stem--be used as a suitable instrument for the analysis of power
relationships? One can wonder if the military institutions and especially
the means employed to pursue war and the practices which surround it
indirectly or directly make up the kernel of political institutions. [end
flawed attempt to translate the German]

Hope that gives you a sense of the text.

> It would also be helpful if someone could post me the
> address of the Foucault Centre in Paris. (There was a
> posting on this list not so long ago from someone there, but
> I have deleted it. Much of the response they received was
> rude and aggressive, and since there has been nothing since
> i suspect they have left the list. If you're still out
> there, please contact me -this enquiry is not a matter of
> constructing a Foucology, I just need some new tools to
> apply!)
>
> Mick Drake
> UEA

At the back of _Michel Foucault: Philosopher_ the address of the Foucault
Center is given as follows:

Bibliotheque du Saulchoir
Association pour le Centre Michel Foucault
43 bis, rue de la Glaciere
75013 Paris

I don't know how to indicate accents on this ASCII format. There is a
backward slash above the first 'e' in "Bibliotheque." There is also a
backward slash above the first 'e' in "Glaciere."

This book was published in 1992; I do not know if the above address is
current.

--John

Folow-ups
  • Re: bibliographic