Re: Bad Writing

been away also.
Re: the prize-winning sentence (from judith butler):

"The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood
to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view
of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition,
convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality
into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of
Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical
objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of
structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with
the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power."

this actually makes good sense to me. Anyone who has read Deleuze and
Guattari on decoding and recoding (especially part III of Anti-Oedipus),
Virilio on "transpolitical deconstruction", and Foucault on the emergence
of shifting networks of power, should be able to read this and understand
the thread without a problem. I've read worse, that's for sure.

best wishes/sincerely,
Ian R. Douglas | Watson Institute of International Studies
Brown University, Box 1831, Providence, RI 02912 USA

tel: 401 863-2420 fax: 401 863-2192

"The human being is an animal that requires
discipline and is capable of achieving it
through reason." - Immanuel Kant

http://www.powerfoundation.org