Re: Schools and Foucault

Ben,
I know of nothing by Foucault himself, but there are Foucauldian studies
of schools and schooling. The most useful I've found are:

Hunter, Ian (1996) 'Assembling the School' in Andrew Barry, et. al.
(eds) _Foucault and Political Reason_ London: UCL
_____ (1994) _Rethinking the School: subjectivty, bureaucracy,
criticism_ Allen & Unwin
_____ (1993) 'The Pastoral Bureaucracy: Towards a less Principled
Understanding of State Schooling' in Meredyth, D. and Tyler, D. (eds)
_Child and Citizen: Genealogies of Schooling and Subjectivity_ Queensland
_____ (1993) 'Culture, Bureaucracy and the History of Popular Education'
in Meredyth, D. and Tyler, D. (eds) _Child and Citizen: Genealogies of
Schooling and Subjectivity_ Queensland
Jones, Kevin. and Williamson, Karen. (1979) 'The birth of the
schoolroom' in _Ideology and Consciousness_ 6, pp. 58-110

You might also take a look at:

Apple, Michael (1980) _Education and power_ Routledge
Callan, Eamonn (1997) _Creating citizens: political education and
liberal democracy_ Oxford, Clarendon Press
Green, Andy (1990) _Education and state formation: the rise of education
systems in England, France, and the USA_ New York, St. Martin's Press

best wishes/sincerely,
Ian R. Douglas | Watson Institute of International Studies
Brown University, Box 1831, Providence, RI 02912 USA

tel: 401 863-2420 fax: 401 863-2192

"Answer me using simple words, not the
hollow ones." - Marcel Duchamps

http://www.powerfoundation.org