Re: Schools and Foucault

Great citations thus far. Let me also add two more:

Thomas Popkewitz and Marie Brennan (eds). _Foucault's Challenge: Discourse,
Knowledge, and Power in Education_. Teachers College Press (NY: 1998)

Thomar Popkewitz. _A Political Sociology of Educational Reform:
Power/Knowledge in Teaching, Teacher Education, and Research_. Teachers
College Press (NY:1991).

I've found Popkewitz's work extremely useful in exploring the US "charter
school movement." I do think the "movement" dimensions and larger "reform
arena" dynamics need as much exploration as classrooms, curriculum theory,
and specific concepts of discipline. Shifts in governance mechanisms
(including state policy discourse, administrative levels, and "public
mediation") deserve attention with power/knowledge and social
epistemological dimensions kept in mind. Likewise, I think the role of
"Expertise" and "'research" is particularly critical, as the notion of the
"public" is public education becomes more and more strained, fragmented.

*on soap-box*

Formal education is a contentious arena, regarding social reproduction.
IMHO, the (academic) Left could do some 'stepping back,' re-evaluation of
its normative yardsticks (maybe even consideration of Foucauldian
analysis), and a re-engagement with public dialog in ways that _resonate_...

*off soap-box*

I need to join the AERA SIG. :)

Usually a humanist,
\jude

^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ Authentic Signature #7 ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Jude Hollins (grad student #4003-3750923-69734)
Cultural Foundations of Education, Syracuse University

@Some Uniform Resource Locators:
Information Institute of Syracuse http://iis.syr.edu/

American Educational Studies Association http://askeric.org/AESA/
The Charter School Research web-site http://csr.syr.edu/
BiblioBasket (a free web tool) http://web.syr.edu/~jlhollin/bib.html

Check out the Virtual Reference Desk http://www.vrd.org/

"Modernity is often defined in terms of humanism, either as a way of
saluting the birth of 'man' or as a way of announcing his death. But this
habit itself is modern, because it remains asymetrical. It overlooks the
simultaneous birth of 'nonhumanity'..." - Bruno Latour. _We Have Never Been
Modern_