Re: Knowledge and Power

The relationship between power and knowledge is central to what Foucault
calls "genealogy." Accordingly, Discipline and Punish is a primary work in
Foucault's development of the "power/knowledge nexus." "Two Lectures" is
probably his most complete explication of his "theory," but it is also one
of his most dense and difficult pieces to read. You might want to look at
D/P first, esp. his discussion of the examination (is that the "Means of
Correct Training" chapter) but also the first chapter, where he introduces
the topic (personally, I would recommend the whole book!). There are also a
number of essays/interviews in the "Politics, Philosophy, Cultutre" volume,
depending upon how deeply you want to look into it, how Foucault claims to
have developed it, how it works in specific contexts, etc. (there's an
excellent passage in one of them, but I don't remember the title of the
interview off-hand).