Re: F on discourse in institutional contexts

hi,
I'm kinda new to all of this, so if I'm blatantly wrong on something,
please be nice.

I think that Doug is right on to his question of agency and subjectivity
which operate as a by-product of power and knowledge. But recently, I've
been reading some stuff on how a lot of people mischaracterize foucault's
notion of power as merely being negative and absolute. For example, we
always tend to point to the example of the sovereig, i.e a boss, who exerts
power over the subject, i.e an employee, like in sexual haressment. But
this conception isn't necessarily true

Foucault characterizes power and knowledge as coproductive. It isn't solely
concerned with subjectivity, but rather productivity. It is the
incorporation of capitalism into our social life. Power isn't always
negative, ie exclusionary, but productive, trys to make us productive, which
may in some way or form relate to marginalization.

Additionally, in Foucault's discussions about technique and tactic, he
states that power always produces a counter force, much like newton's law.
For every subjectification, there is an anti-subjectification. The subject
fights the techniques of power with a set of tactics to combat its
marginalizing effects. I think that may in some way or form account for the
problem of breaking away with the forces of power and its marginilization.
I believe that is largely what Foucault discusses in his works about
micro-political resistance.

Of Course, I could be entirely wrong about this, and if I am, I'm sorry to
waste your time, reply with any comments

Varant Yegparian
Winston Churchill High School
vaboye@xxxxxxxxxxxx