Re: F on discourse in institutional contexts

Asher's response is right on. I'd add a few things though:
First, Foucault never denies by any means that power is unequal and
nonegalitarian--this, of course, explains the questions you raise over the
professor, the manager, the state, universities, churces, etc.. But that
unequal relation is never a given, self-positioning event--but is rather
constituted by other relations that are more local and singular. (to counter
the traditional belief in soveirgnty or the localization of power in the
state, foucault references "local centers" of power--or--the most localized,
immediate relations that give rise to a relation or an event, and ultimately
condition such unequal relations.) In this sense, it is possible to subvert
those relations, or at least unsettle them.
Second, and relating to the first, no institution carries its own
weight--for instance, there really is no state present to itself. The state
is constituted by bueracracies, those being constituted by people,
relations--an entire network or relations make up institutions. There is no
doubt that any social body or insitution is most threatened not by the
outside, but from within. This is in some ways similar to Derrida's claim
that no structure is self-evident and instead relies on internal functions--
It seems that perceiving institutions as always volitile can leave room for
a more specific resistance, avoiding the "totalizing tendencies of Marxism",
etc.

Loren