RE: Can Postmodernism Survive? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 01:23:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Schenk <djschenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bataille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Can Postmodernism Survive?

*cough*

Perhaps I should back up a bit. It seems my post was rather widely
misunderstood both in its content and its intent. I realize that a
significant number of people on lists such as these are accustomed to
employing a wide variety of rhetorical devices, one of which is to ask
leading questions as a strategy for casting aspersions on some
philosophical position or figure. I *AM* **NOT** doing that. The
question presented in the title is sincere and right now I just don't know
what its answer will be.

First and foremost I want to make sure I put all my cards on the table so
no one feels compelled to worry about the possibility of some nefarious
ulterior motives, or whatever. :P To that end, I want to post a short note
thanking everyone who responded for responding, especially those who did
so with the goal of helping me come to terms with some of these questions
and the relevant material, but I also want to make a few disclaimers in
light of the more heated and even angry responses I got. Specific
next few days. Right now I'm a bit too busy for that, as it will take a
while. Sooo......

(1) Apparently I ruffled a few feathers with my post. I did not intend
to offend or irritate anyone with this. When I say I am trying to
understand and when I say I do not wish to be combative or rude, I
mean it. If I did come off as combative, I must apologize for that.

(2) As for the principle of charity, I *am* employing it. If I am guilty
of anything, it is simple naivete about the views in question. In
connection with this, I would dearly love to discuss the varieties of
kinds of reasons with John Ransom and any other interested parties,
along with a discussion of the nature of rationality and whether or
not the term is polyvalent, and if so to what extent and finally,
well, so what?

(3) I know virtually nothing of Bataille aside from a few bits that a
friend explained to me. I posted to the Bataille list simply because
I am told he's considered a bigwig among American postmodernists.
Apparently, the Spoon Collective has no POMO-l, and certainly no
analytic-philosopher-meets-POMO-l. Its too bad. Both could serve
very noble purposes.

(4) I really don't care much about "winning" or "losing" various
arguments or rhetorical flame wars, here, so either drop your swords
or go ahead and run me through with them-- I seriously don't care.
In this spirit, I will make the preemptive move of declaring
everyone else victors over me so we can forget about it and get on
with what matters. I have seen too many otherwise promising
discussions decay into flame wars and ad hominens. Frankly, it's
depressing. It's also kind of dumb.

(5) I _do_ have definite views about this, and my tentative position is
that postmodernism and poststructuralism are intellectually untenable
for much the same reason that the theories of philosophers like Kuhn,
Feyerabend, Sellars, and the later Wittgenstein are intellectually
untenable. Nonetheless, I am *NOT* wedded to this claim. In all my
philosophical studies I have a standing policy of leaving the door
open to theories I consider implausible. How else could I have
changed my mind about so much over the past ten years? I mean,
heavensakes, I started out actually believing that moral values are
_relative_ way back when...

(6) I am unimpressed by appeals to the fact that the laws of reason do
not rationally justify themselves. That strikes me as a line of
argument structurally (and intellectually) akin to the argument
whereby the proposition "there is no truth" is shown to be
self-defeating, thus refuting global relativism or social or
linguistic constructivism or the "Strong Programme" or whatever
folks choose to call it around here. It is cheaper than a cheap
stunt. <<2>> On the other hand, I most certainly am impressed by any
nice clean, tidy, formally valid arguments the conclusions of which
go something like "the laws of reason are not universally binding,"
or "the laws of reason cannot be known to be universally binding," or
even better "the laws of reason can be proven not to be universally
binding." I mean, even Descartes in Med. I and Hume in his Treatise
gave us good reasons to worry about that. In connection with this, I
am very interested in the reply from John Ransom. If it can be made
to go, it strikes as one of the most promising lines of argument,
though we will have to evaluate it for formal soundness.

Broadly speaking, what I'm wondering is whether or not an argument
similar to or better than the sort I allude to above might be found
somewhere between the pages of some book, article, or the plurals
thereof by Lyotard, Baudrillard, Bataille, Derrida, Foucault, Adorno,
or anybody else popularly associated with "postmodernism" and
"poststructuralism." I'm quite familiar with the process of digging
genuine and good arguments out of the writings of philosophers who
are hostile to the notion of being understood by the rest of us. I
spent ten years doing just that with Heidegger, and some of his
quasi-Kantian phenomenological arguments really are excellent.

(6) Part of my budding interest in postmodernism in general is the fact
that Ill be sitting in on a Heidegger seminar in the fall and I was
advised to go back and re-read some of these authors in connection
with him. Additionally, a friend of mine in the Philosophy
Department espouses strong sympathy for postmodernism, and since I
know for a fact that he is not a supercilious dolt, I figure it's
likely the authors he admires aren't dolts either. Seems plausible,
right? Of course, many people who are not dolts are nonetheless
wrong, they just aren't stupidly wrong.

(7) For those who are more interested in being combative and verbally
beating up on a dyed-in-the-cloth analytic metaphysician, be my
guest. My ego is located elsewhere, so I'm likely to be a very easy
and passive target.

In conclusion, I should like to say that I am very pleased both by the
volume and the nature of the responses I have received. Several people
were very gracious and helpful and furthermore it seems my stumbling
efforts had the salutary effect of bringing new life to some lists that
were very very dead for quite some time. I just hope I can keep track of
what information and which arguments on this matter are relevant to which
lists over the coming months.

Cheers,

David Schenk

<<1>> Regarding this, I suppose I should point out that Kuhn is NOT even
vaguely representative of where philosophy of science stands
today. His views died a much-deserved death over twenty years
ago. Scientific anti-realists would do better to look to Bas Van
Fraasen for the grist they seek. I do not say this to chastise
anyone. After all, just as I know very little of postmodernism
right now, it is only to be expected that many other people know
very little of contemporary philosophy of science. As a hint, I
should mention that the field simply does not contain much talk
about "paradigms" nowadays, not the least because that has got to be
one of the most ill-formed and poorly defined concepts in the
business.

If anyone wants to get into the debates over Kuhn and philosophy of
science, I'd be happy to do so either via private email or at least
under a new heading for the posts. A substantial chunk of my
dissertation is in the philosophy of science (someday Ill finish
that accursed thing... someday...) and I dare say that is a field I
know quite well. If he is anything at all, Kuhn is an object lesson
in how not to be a logical positivist (that is what he was, after
all).

<<2>> I will include an explanation of why such responses do not impress
me in my next post. It is unfortunate that many people try to use
just such a strategy, because as arguments go it is a failure.