Re: hello scholars!

In a message dated 08/14/2000 15:47:53 EST, courtyards@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< so i considered discipline, but was uncertain about that because it
was so much later and might take for granted the reader's knowledge of his
work. >>

Personally, I found Discipline and Punish to be very accessable and
understandable. In it, Foucault lays out a lot of his theories on how society
has changed its method of social control of the populace over time. It's
where I started my Foucault research.

-Aaron J. Lyttle

"Two paths lie before us. One leads to death, the other to life. If we choose
the first path - if we numbly refuse to acknowledge the nearness of
extinction, all the while increasing our preparations to bring it about -
then we in effect become the allies of death, and in everything we do our
attachment to life will weaken: our vision, blinded to the abyss that has
opened at our feet..."
-Johnathen Schell