Re: Intellectual Specificity and Inner Fascism

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> on 12/17/00 11:38 PM, Chris Jones at ccjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > YES INDEED..... do take a good look! Butler berates the gay rights
> > movement for its lack of understanding of the radical potential of
> > cross dressing. Perhaps Butler has very little to do with the gay
> > rights movement and the temporary coalition known as the gay
> > community in Australia for if she had she would not make this demand.
> > Butler is telling us to put on a dress and quietly die of AIDS. Here
> > her text is verging on, if not actually homophobic.
> >

> Oh come on! This is certainly a possible interpretation of Butler but that's
> NOT what Butler ever says!

Hi Asher,

To be fair to Butler, she does recant on this position and agree with
Bersani.

I am not interested in what Butler's text may say as reading is open
to affects of power. I am interested in the affects of power of her
text. Gender Trouble, with or against Butler's wishes, has become a
founding text in a discourse.

Best wishes

Chris Jones.