Re: discussion

--------------1F96569855E488A96E84D984

Roberto:

The status of the "Socratic" in philosophy and teaching is widely
disputed. My Socrates is strange enough to include Foucault as a
Socratic figure. See Alexander Nehamas, "The Art of Living: Socratic
Reflections from Plato to Foucault" for one broadened vision of Socratic
inquiry.

I am not sure where Socrates aimed his penis. The Platonic portrait of
him in the "Symposium" paints a response to the beautiful Alcibiades
that "privileges" the soul to the point of exclusion.

Larry

<pre WRAP>Larry W. Chappell wrote:

> Philosophy begins with pedophilia. Maybe it ends there too.

I know. Apologies if anyone didn't like the joke.

>&nbsp; Socrates
> spent all his days in the agora with young men. Education in Athens was
> intimately connected with courting young boys. Socrtaes invented a new,
> more subtle pedophilia that we still practice in our institutions today.
> We have adopted his model for corrupting youth.
>&nbsp;
> As a teacher, I am a fairly typical Socratic progeny.

About teaching (i am one too, although not of english :-)): socratic&nbsp;
methodology is related to socratic aims and socratic conception of&nbsp;
Being. Shouldn't we try to find another methods and strategies, or do&nbsp;
you think those methods are compatible with contemporary thought? It&nbsp;
really concerns me.

>&nbsp; I have no interest
> in their bodies,

Socrates had, although he privileged souls.
Regards
Roberto

>&nbsp;

--&nbsp;
Examinations are formidable even to the best prepared, for the gratest fool may ask more than the wisest man can answer. -Charles Caleb Colton, author and clergyman (1780-1832)

</pre>

--------------1F96569855E488A96E84D984--