Fwd: Re: A twist to dossier and gaze

------=_NextPart_000_3d7a_6bd6_432d

Hello Jesper

What I am considering applying the idea of DOSSIER to is a corporate report
of (for example) an oil spill. In my interview, the CEO of a petrochemical
company handed me a report and said, 'this is what happened ... you can read
about it in here ... there is no need for me to say anything more about this
...'

The way I interpret Foucault and this interview, is that the CEO was
imposing his MANAGERIAL GAZE on me and making use of this report as a
DOSSIER. Harre might refer to this as FORCED POSITIONING, but that is
another thing all together.

In another case, another CEO handed me a corporate report that demonstrted
their environmental improvements over the past 10 years. Rather than engage
in discourse, he imposed his interpretation on my interview. In other
words, there was no opportunity to discuss things; my choice was to accept
his written report.

A third case, another CEO told me to read her thesis, suggesting that my
ideas were all wrong and hers was THE answer.

In fact, all the CEOs I interviewed handed me papers and reports and
booklets of ones sort or another to justify their message to me.

I am interested in this idea of management gaze and how a dossier is used as
a power tool to impose THE WAY IT IS.

I understand that Foucault was referring to a DOSSIER on a person, that was
composed of personal data (be it medical or disciplinary.) I am giving this
idea a twist. The DOSSIER I am referring to is not about a person, but an
event or a situation.

Lionel

>From: Jesper Grolin <jg.ioa@xxxxxx>
>To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: A twist to dossier and gaze
>Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:44:38 +0200>
>Lionel,
>
>Could you explain what your question is. And contrary to the concept of
>'event', which Foucault discusses extensively, what is the status of
>'dossier'?
>
>Jesper.
>
>Lionel Boxer wrote:
> >
> > I have been chatting offline with Lisa Hennon regarding gaze and
>dossier.
> > This posting is to solicit feedback about what I am trying to do with
>gaze
> > and dossier.
> >
> > The dossier I am referring to is one that relates to an event. For
>example,
> > the official corporate line regarding an environmental disaster caused
>by
> > the the company. I was interviewing a petrochemical CEO and, rather
>than
> > talk about the event, the CEO said he would give me a copy of the
> > confidential report.
> >
> > The way I am considering dossier and gaze is that the dossier on the
>event
> > enables the manager to direct a gaze that implies 'everything is fine
>and
> > don't worry ... we have everything under control ... it will not
>re-occur.'
> >
> > This seems to be something entirely different from what is in Discipline
>and
> > Punish (I am half way through that now.)
> >
> > Any comments?

------=_NextPart_000_3d7a_6bd6_432d

begin:vcard
n:Grolin;Jesper
tel;fax:+45 38 15 28 65
tel;home:+45 38 11 70 15
tel;work:+45 38 15 29 60
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Copenhagen Business School;Department for Organization & Industrial Sociology
adr:;;Solbjerg Plads 3;2000 Frederiksberg;Denmark;;
version:2.1
email;internet:jg.ioa@xxxxxx
title:Assistant Research Professor
fn:Jesper Grolin