Re: the soul and subjectivation

> >Foucault is using the term "soul" to denote a
> disembodied source of behavior
>
> Can you point me to where Foucault uses the
> term "soul"?

In "The Body of the Condemned." Its at the beginning of Discipline and
Punishment, its also in the Rainbow reader I think.

> >Thus a
> >subject being forced to understand him/herself
> in terms of a soul seems
> central to psychology (libido, psyche,
> cognotive framework, etc) ....
>
> Is the above your conclusion or that of
> Foucault?

I don't think Foucault ever quite drew this conclusion because, as he later
decided, Madness and Civilization was to a large degree operating within the
repressive hypothesis. In "The Body of the Condemned" he gives a nod to
Deleuze and Guattari for their work on psychology as the training of the soul
(as long as we understand the soul the way foucault has defined it within the
text, as a disembodied or non-corporeal site of behavior.)

> >I certainly
> >think that the pedagogical structures within
> the penal system are aimed at
> >training the soul,
>
> Don't you think that the pedagogical structures
> within every system
> are aimed at training the soul whether it's a
> Foucaldtian soul or a
> Christian one?

Well in the text Foucault specifically draws a distinction between the
christian soul, born out of sin, and this modern form of the soul, born out of
disciplinary technologies. The christian soul is repressed, the modern soul
is produced.

Anywho, thats my take on it.