Re: the soul and subjectivation

Thank you for some very interesting points ...

>Foucault is using the term "soul" to denote a disembodied source of behavior

Can you point me to where Foucault uses the term "soul"?

>Thus a
>subject being forced to understand him/herself in terms of a soul seems
central to psychology (libido, psyche, cognotive framework, etc) ....

Is the above your conclusion or that of Foucault?

>I certainly
>think that the pedagogical structures within the penal system are aimed at
>training the soul,

Don't you think that the pedagogical structures within every system
are aimed at training the soul whether it's a Foucaldtian soul or a
Christian one?

>but it does not seem that a prisoner is encouraged to view
>him/herself in terms of a soul.

Why do you say this? And I take it you're referring to a Foucauldtian soul

>The confessional aspects of prisons does
>seem to promote a soul-based understanding of the self.
>The guided self
>examination in these processes seems to necessarily imply some non-corporeal
>aspect of the subject responsible for behavior which must be made to realize
>the erring of its ways.

Yet this seems Christian "confessional" ... do you think there's a
confessional aspect to Foucault?

>Another interesting question is how is the relationship between the soul, the
>body, and the Subject constructed. It seems to be more complex than the
>simple cartesian equation: body + soul = you.

Are you suggesting that in the Cartesian world body + soul = subject ?