Re: Drug Gaze

Thanks for your reply Lionel. I need more time to process it, but i just
wanted to clarify that Chris Weedon in that extract was speaking
specifically about 'pornography and much advertising' which offer
'models of femininity in which a particular version of female sexuality
is paramount. It is a form of femininity in which women direct themselvs
totally to the satisfaction of the male gaze, male fantasies and male
desires...'

I took that to mean a much more ordinary sense of 'gaze' than the way
Foucault uses it, but others may correct me.
Jill

Lionel Boxer wrote:

>> From: Jill Molan <Jill.Molan@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:14:59 +1000
>> I'm still quite confused about what Lionel meant by 'drug gaze' - 'the
>> gaze of the underground drug traficing profession' (as per Lionel's
>> original post) - and it's been challenged a couple of times without
>> clarification - can you elaborate on what you mean by it Lionel? How
>> does this use of the term 'gaze' correspond with Foucault's use of it?
>

> My impression of what Foucault's gaze means is that it represents the
> capability of some sort of human group (profession or some other
> collection of people) to influence power over the wider community.
> Where Foucault identified medical gaze and then judicial gaze, I have
> noticed that feminists have extended that idea to male gaze. Chris
> Weedon (1987, p. 23) is a Feminist who suggests that paternalistic
> society has supressed feminine aspects of humanity through something
> that could be described as a Foucauldian gaze. While I acknowledge
> that the Feminist movement has largely drawn of Foucualt with at best
> a veneer of academic integrity, the concept does provide a seed for
> more serious academic exploration. In my thesis I suggest that
> management excudes some sort of Foucauldian gaze that is responsible
> for the complacency that impedes some organisations appropriately
> dealing with sustainability. I have developed this idea with some
> analogies drawn from electromagnetic theory to show that cultures
> produce residue that leaders need to deal with before they can change
> directions.
>
> Relating more specifically to my drug gaze postings:
>
> My impression is that the drug enthusiast community (in an earlier
> posting I flipantly referred to this as 'the drug traficing
> profession') does indeed excude some sort of "cheech and chong"
> enthusiastic and captivating ritual that draws people into
> participating in a look-at-me-I-can-do-it-too-fun-club where they
> consume, deal and create drugs. There is some sort of aura about that
> sucks people in. I have felt it when I lived in a northern Melbourne
> suburb 15 years ago, and I felt it when I lived in the mountains
> outside Melbourne 14 years ago, and I felt it when I lived in
> inner-suburban Melbourne 13 years ago, and I have seen it in corporate
> Melbourne. I saw it on a less-all-encompassing scale in
> Toronto-the-good where I grew up.
>
> About five years ago there were major stories in Melbourne newspapers
> about executives who were involved in drug consumption in a rather
> serious way. These poeple had families, big houses and children
> enrolled in expensive schools. They had been found out to have
> stuffed up businesses. One CEO drove a potentially highly successful
> business into the ground and then somehow staggered off a cliff while
> he was walking his daughter along the top of the cliff (I happened to
> attend the funeral through some a series of interconnected
> [...]

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.