Re: Gouvernementality / Il faut défendre la société

Would it be correct to argue that in the Foucault/Habermas debate (whether it
ever really happened or not!) the two thinkers were actually talking about
different things - Habermas about grand issues of state power and social
structure, while Foucault was more interested in the existence of power
within individual people, with even the way they move and talk reflecting
their position in inter-personal pecking orders, institutions providing the
environment/architecture for such power relations between people to exist,
but even without such institutional structures, different people would still
be able to exert different quantities of authority (though perhaps in a
different way - Institutions with warped or perverse explicit or implicit
aims creating warped and perverse power structures)?

The description such power relations between people is not the same as a
justification or a condemnation, but is simply attempting to explore and
interpret what exists.

Marx recognised that the power structures of capitalism could not simply be
abolished - that following a social transformation, a period of proletarian
dictatorship would oppress, in a reversed way, the bourgeoisie. Only as the
ideological remnants of capitalism disappeared from people's minds could this
proletarian state 'wither away', leaving people working together in a
cooperative and communal way. Even then, the existence of such communal
existence would not abnegate the existence of different personal capacities
(presumably including the capacity to exert influence, to be authoritative,
to be persuasive of others within the community), as implied by the
formulation 'from each according to his abilities'. In this Foucault seems
closer to Marx than Habermas.

How pleasant
Just once not to see
Fuji through mist. (Basho)