Re: Problematizing

In a message dated 12/6/03 1:12:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
francois.gagnon.1@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> On problematization

Perhaps this means to begin to call into question that which had been
taken for granted.

When you are totally immersed within a culture, you embrace certain
ideas, modes of being and behavior as "truth."

As you begin to separate from a culture, one may wish to call into
question certain ideas or modes of being, to recognize that they arise out of a
particular discourse at a particular moment in history.

It seems to me that one has to be motivated to problematize something:
the idea or institution is bothering you, functioning in a destructive
manner, so you wish to "call it into question," begin to deconstruct the discourse,
move it from being an "absolute" to something that can be questioned.

rk

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---