Thinking about Foucault's Methods

Hello All,

I must say it's been very pleasing to watch the recent increase in the
volume of postings on this list; for a time there I was beginning to worry
if indeed we had all but 'forgotten Foucault'...but no, the list has once
again sprung into vibrancy! Much relief...I would like to post a query on
this list about the existing secondary literature concerning the analysis of
Foucault's methods. I recall writing a section in my thesis on the various
pieces of Foucault's own writings that address notions of method and
epistemology (Nietzsche, Genealogy, History; Two Lectures, What is
Enlightenment? the Subject and Power, Questions of Method etc); though
Foucault rarely spoke of methodologies in the manner of a more
traditional/conventional research scholar. However, it is precisely this
notion of the anti-science, of Foucault's elliptical critique of a more
conventional epistemology that is of most interest to me now in my more
recent work on the 'problem' of illicit drug misuse.

Recently I have been thinking about how one might come to apply some of
Foucault's insights to the issue of substance misuse. Specifically, I have
begun thinking about a more foucauldian inspired research agenda within the
alcohol and other drugs field. In other words, how might a 'foucauldian'
approach the problem of illicit drugs? What would be the principal objects
of interest? How would this research proceed, according to which methods? I
would certainly be interested to know what others on the list thought of
these issues...

However, I also thought it would be useful to explore the secondary
literature to examine how various of Foucault's methods have been 'applied'
in other fields (ie education, social work, criminology, health sciences
etc). Can anyone recommend any works of interest? I am particularly
interested in pieces of writing that address the issue of Foucault's methods
and their application. I recently came across Kendall and Wickham's 'Using
Foucault's Methods' (Sage 1999), though have found it somewhat
unsatisfactory. Any other suggestions?

With thanks,

Dr Cameron Duff
Director of Research,
Centre for Youth Drug Studies

PO Box 818, North Melbourne. 3051
TEL: 03 9278 8118
FAX: 03 9328 3008
cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
www.adf.org.au

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail may contain information which represents the views
and opinions of the author and does not necessarily reflect those of the
Australian Drug Foundation as an organization. The information in this
e-mail is confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the
addressee(s) named. Any unauthorized use of this e-mail or its contents is
strictly prohibited. Please advise us if you have received this e-mail in
error. Thank you.
--
http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---