From: "Ben Sorgiovanni" <revilugg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: foucault-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Foucault-L] Re: Foucault and Analytical Philosophy
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:25:42 +0000

Hi all,

I am interested in learning more about the influence that analytical
philosophy had on Foucault and his ideas of power and discourse. In
'Foucault and His Interlocutors', in the chapter entitled 'Structures and
Strategies of Discourse', Davidson quotes Foucault:

"For Anglo-Saxon analytic philosophy it is a question of making a critical
analysis of thought on the basis of the way in which one says things. I
think on could imagine, in the same way, a philosophy that would ... bear
rather on relations of power than on language games."

Davidson later cites Foucault's early engagement with linguistic philosophy
and Wittgenstein in particular as evidence that Foucault's philosophy grew
from influences that weren't purely continental.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other statements by Foucault or
otherwise, in which this relationship is discussed?

Cheers,

Ben Sorgiovanni