Re: [Foucault-L] Re: Foucault and Analytical Philosophy

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Lionel,<br>
As I see, the difference between "&eacute;nonc&eacute;" and speech act is rather methodological:
it refers to two different language analysis, two different ways of inquiring
into language. <br>
In effect, this is also how Foucault distinguishes an "&eacute;nonce" from <br>
a phrase (grammatical language analysis), from a proposition (logical analysis),
and from an interpretation (sense analysis, hermeneutics or even psychoanalysis).<br>
To analyse langage into "speech acts" unities refers language to the situation
and to the activity connected to it. What Foucault looks for, with his "analyse
de l&#8217;&eacute;nonc&eacute;", <br>
is to put the language performance in relation to a much broader horizon:
the discourse formation ("formation discursive") and the archives.<br>
In the first moment Foucault says (p.110, "L&#8217;Arch&eacute;ologie du savoir", Gallimard,
1969)<br>
that it was as he could count several "&eacute;nonc&eacute;s" in one only speech act. <br>
But I don&#8217;t think we must consider this to its latest consequences. <br>
At this point Foucault is in the beginning of his explanation, still investigating
the nature of the "&eacute;nonc&eacute;", still considering it as an unity <br>
and not yet as a function (like he does later on the text).<br>
Leon<br>
Lionel Boxer escreveu:<br>
 cite="midBAY103-F24F74304BCF2D0ACD200A7C14B0@xxxxxxx">Leon<br>
How do you interpret Foucault on the difference between what he calls "&eacute;nonc&eacute;"
and "speech acts"?<br>
Lionel<br>
Lionel Boxer CD PhD MBA - 0411267256 - <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:lboxer@xxxxxxxxxxx";>lboxer@xxxxxxxxxxx</a><br>
Victorian Scottish Regiment<br>
NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT (none may attack me with impunity)<br>
----------------------------------------------<br>
Melbourne Volunteer Rifle Regiment 150th Anniversary -- <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://intergon.net/rifles";>http://intergon.net/rifles</a><br>
Legion of Frontiersmen Centenary - <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://intergon.net/frontiersmen";>http://intergon.net/frontiersmen</a><br>
The Army Lodge 75th Anniversary Fri 3 Dec 2004 -- <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://intergon.net/tal";>http://intergon.net/tal</a><br>
Ben,<br>
I'm reading &lt;Arch&eacute;ologie du Savoir&gt; by now.<br>
In the chapter about statements ("&eacute;nonc&eacute;s"), Foucault writes<br>
about statements level ("niveaux &eacute;nonciatifs")<br>
or statements relations ("relations &eacute;nonciatives"),<br>
which may remind the langage games<br>
(sprachspiel) of Wittgenstein.<br>
In this same chapter, Foucault works on<br>
the difference between what he calls "&eacute;nonc&eacute;" and "speech acts"<br>
("a concept of english analytical philosophers..."),<br>
a probable reference to Searle and Austin.<br>
Leon<br>
  <hr width="90%" size="4"><br>
  <title></title>

  <title></title>
            Ben,<br>
 I'm reading &lt;Arch&eacute;ologie du Savoir&gt; by now.<br>
 In the chapter about statements ("&eacute;nonc&eacute;s"), Foucault writes<br>
 about statements level ("niveaux &eacute;nonciatifs") <br>
 or statements relations ("relations &eacute;nonciatives"),<br>
 which may remind the langage games<br>
 (sprachspiel) of Wittgenstein.<br>
 In this same chapter, Foucault works on<br>
 the difference between what he calls "&eacute;nonc&eacute;" and "speech acts"<br>
 ("a concept of english analytical philosophers..."),<br>
 a probable reference to Searle and Austin.<br>
 Leon <br>
 Ben Sorgiovanni escreveu:<br>

 cite="midBAY102-F411A52BD653CAD2BD4A112DE490@xxxxxxx">Hi all,<br>
 I am interested in learning more about the influence that analytical<br>
 philosophy had on Foucault and his ideas of power and discourse.&nbsp; In<br>
 'Foucault and His Interlocutors', in the chapter entitled 'Structures and<br>
 Strategies of Discourse', Davidson quotes Foucault:<br>
 "For Anglo-Saxon analytic philosophy it is a question of making a critical<br>
 analysis of thought on the basis of the way in which one says things.&nbsp; I<br>
 think on could imagine, in the same way, a philosophy that would ... bear<br>
 rather on relations of power than on language games."<br>
 Davidson later cites Foucault's early engagement with linguistic philosophy<br>
 and Wittgenstein in particular as evidence that Foucault's philosophy grew<br>
 from influences that weren't purely continental.<br>
 I was wondering if anyone knew of any other statements by Foucault or<br>
 otherwise, in which this relationship is discussed?<br>
 Cheers,<br>
 Ben Sorgiovanni<br>

  <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Espa&ccedil;o Z Design
AGORA COM NOVO SITE
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.zd.com.br";>http://www.zd.com.br</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:leon@xxxxxxxxx";>leon@xxxxxxxxx</a>