From: Leon Farhi Neto <leon@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Re: Foucault and Analytical Philosophy
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:24:23 -0300

Ben,

I'm reading <Archéologie du Savoir> by now.
In the chapter about statements ("énoncés"), Foucault writes
about statements level ("niveaux énonciatifs")
or statements relations ("relations énonciatives"),
which may remind the langage games
(sprachspiel) of Wittgenstein.

In this same chapter, Foucault works on
the difference between what he calls "énoncé" and "speech acts"
("a concept of english analytical philosophers..."),
a probable reference to Searle and Austin.

Leon

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<title></title>
          Ben,<br>
I'm reading &lt;Arch&eacute;ologie du Savoir&gt; by now.<br>
In the chapter about statements ("&eacute;nonc&eacute;s"), Foucault writes<br>
about statements level ("niveaux &eacute;nonciatifs") <br>
or statements relations ("relations &eacute;nonciatives"),<br>
which may remind the langage games<br>
(sprachspiel) of Wittgenstein.<br>
In this same chapter, Foucault works on<br>
the difference between what he calls "&eacute;nonc&eacute;" and "speech acts"<br>
("a concept of english analytical philosophers..."),<br>
a probable reference to Searle and Austin.<br>
Leon <br>
Ben Sorgiovanni escreveu:<br>

cite="midBAY102-F411A52BD653CAD2BD4A112DE490@xxxxxxx">Hi all,<br>
I am interested in learning more about the influence that analytical<br>
philosophy had on Foucault and his ideas of power and discourse.&nbsp; In<br>
'Foucault and His Interlocutors', in the chapter entitled 'Structures and<br>
Strategies of Discourse', Davidson quotes Foucault:<br>
"For Anglo-Saxon analytic philosophy it is a question of making a critical<br>
analysis of thought on the basis of the way in which one says things.&nbsp; I<br>
think on could imagine, in the same way, a philosophy that would ... bear<br>
rather on relations of power than on language games."<br>
Davidson later cites Foucault's early engagement with linguistic philosophy<br>
and Wittgenstein in particular as evidence that Foucault's philosophy grew<br>
from influences that weren't purely continental.<br>
I was wondering if anyone knew of any other statements by Foucault or<br>
otherwise, in which this relationship is discussed?<br>
Cheers,<br>
Ben Sorgiovanni<br>

<pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Espa&ccedil;o Z Design
AGORA COM NOVO SITE
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.zd.com.br";>http://www.zd.com.br</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:leon@xxxxxxxxx";>leon@xxxxxxxxx</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:zdesign@xxxxxxxxx";>zdesign@xxxxxxxxx</a>
48 - 2230677

Esteja a&iacute;. Onde estiver.
--</pre>

Folow-ups
  • Re: [Foucault-L] Re: Foucault and Analytical Philosophy
    • From: Leon Farhi Neto