Re: [Foucault-L] Introduction

Richard,
I find Jochen's response to be a bit baffling: Foucault maifestly did
believe in resistance to power. What I would say to clarify is that
Foucault does not believe in resistance to power per se, since power
is necessary to human social existence, but rather that there are
always resistances to any given particular instance of power.
I am in the terminal stages of writing a PhD thesis on this very
topic, hence could expand on this for 30,000+ words.
An interesting (but I think ultimately incorrect) account of the
relation between (Foucauldian) power and resistance is occassionally
articulated by Judith Butler, notably in The Psychic Life of Power.
Mark