Re: [Foucault-L] governmentality and 'law and order'

Glen

You seem to be implying that you believe that entirely different
philosophical and cultural positions can be simply merged on the basis of
a percieved similarity. Is that what you mean ? or are you arguing that
there is a genuine similarity between the sociology of 'moral panic', with
it's later development of 'subcultures' and the restricted and almost
sub-Situationist concern with the media, and the philosophical perspective
which produces a notion of the 'bare life'.

For what it's worth we in the UK are now into our third moral panic of the
year - 'hoodies...' not a bare life i think merely the endless cycle of
misrepresented young working class people.

As to your question - Todorov's humanist account of the camps might be
worth considering as a way of producing a critique of the 'bare life'. But
I'll ask around and see if anyone can think of something more along the
lines you are thinking of... I'm making the assumption that the Foucault
and other Foucauldian work has already been considered - is that a safe
assumption ?

best
steve